At some point you may have probably heard someone saying something along the lines of needing to balance or align their Chakras. Or, maybe you've seen the numerous Chakra related merchandise advertised on social media and have wondered what the heck are Chakras?
Well, you're in luck! I'm here to give you a basic overview of what the Chakras are, and how they tie into our mind, body, and soul.
If you are interested in learning a Chakra Mediation, a Full Moon Chakra Ritual, or you just need help to balance your Chakras check out our Little Bit of Witchery Blog.
A little history
Chakra which translates to "Wheel" in Sanskrit, can be dated back many many years ago, and was originally a Hindu principle. Balancing, aligning, or other work with Chakras is now a common practice and recognized through various cultures, religions, and practices throughout the world. There are hundreds of energy points within the human body, however the seven (7) Chakras universally recognized are the main energy points that align at certain points of the spine, allowing energy to travel in and out. Each Chakra controls different spiritual, emotional, and physical aspects of our bodies. Every Chakra location is at a point where several nerve endings that control our physical bodies connect with the spine. Allowing us to connect mind, body, and soul. Also, each Chakra is represented by a certain color, stone, element, and mantra. The seven Chakras are: Root, Sacral, Solar Plexus, Heart, Throat, Third Eye, and Crown. I will give you an overview of each below.
1) Root Chakra / Muladhara - located at the base of your spine or tailbone area. It is specifically tied to the element of earth, and the color red. Commonly used stones for the Root Chakra are: Garnet, Red Jasper, Bloodstone, and Hematite. Spiritually and emotionally this chakra controls our feelings and thoughts regarding our basic needs and survival in life such as food, water, shelter, financial independence, and our fight or flight reactions. Physically it controls the lower back, lower extremities - such as the sciatica nerve. It is our foundation point. Mantra used is Lam
2) Sacral Chakra / Svadhishthana - located about 2 inches below your navel. It is tied to the element of water, and the color orange. Commonly used stones for the Sacral Chakra are Carnelian, Citrine, and Topaz. Spiritually and emotionally this chakra controls our creativity, our well being, our sexuality and pleasure. Our sense of abundance and our creative expression. Physically it controls the kidneys, bladder, spleen, and reproductive organs. Mantra used is Vam
3) Solar Plexus Chakra / Manipura - located in the upper abdomen near the stomach. It is tied to the element of fire, and the color yellow. Common stones for the Solar Plexus Chakra are: Tigers Eye, Amber, or Yellow Tourmaline. Spiritually and emotionally this chakra controls our feelings of self worth, self confidence, our motivation, and sense of purpose. Physically it controls our stomach, colon, intestines, pancreas, and liver. Mantra used is Ram
4) Heart Chakra / Anahata - located at your heart. It is tied to the element of water, and the color green. Commonly used stones for the Heart Chakra are: Rose Quartz, Jade, and Emerald. Spiritually and emotionally this chakra controls our love, compassion, and inner peace. It allows us to give and receive love and positive affirmations. Physically it controls the heart, lungs, and upper back area. Mantra used is Yam
5) Throat Chakra / Vishuddha - located in the neck or throat. It is tied with the element of sound or music, and the color light blue/turquoise. Commonly used stones for the Throat Chakra are: Sapphire, Lapis Lazuli, and Aquamarine. Spiritually and emotionally this chakra controls our communication, our spiritual connection, our ability to speak the truth, and connects us to our dreams. Physically it controls our throat, larynx, thyroid, and mouth. Mantra used is Ham
6) Third Eye Chakra / Ajna - located at the forehead between your eyes. It is tied to the element of light, and the color dark blue/purple. Commonly used stones for the Third Eye Chakra are: Amethyst, Azurite, or Purple Fluorite. Spiritually and emotionally this chakra controls our intuition, our inner sight, our wisdom and imagination. This is also where our extrasensory powers call home. Physically it controls sinuses and our brain. Mantra used is Om
7) Crown Chakra / Sahasrara - located at the very top of your head. It is tied to the element of divine consciousness, and the color white/violet. Commonly used stones for the Crown Chakra are: Clear Quartz, Clear Tourmaline, and Fluorite. Spiritually and emotionally this chakra controls our connection of ourselves and the universe, our spiritual connection, our ability to forgive, and our selflessness. Physically it controls our energy and sensitivities to the environment. Mantra - None-just silence.
I hope this has given you some insight about what Chakras are and how they relate to our mind, body, and soul.